What the hell are you supposed to say on these things?
I'm not much of a writer but have been getting lots of practice through work, school and play. Still, you'll have to excuse me for the lack of skill. Hopefully, I will develop a better rhythm.
My current toy of choice is Craigslist, otherwise known as CL. I'm especially fond of the Women's Issues Forum. It's got the right mixture of sass, class and pizazz. Corny, I know and I don't care.
How I chose this handle for CL and my blog:
http://forums.craigslist.org/login/?act=Q&ID=11893053
Being surrounded by a multitude of people who like to hear themselves talk, I find myself in the listener's role quite a bit. Most times, it's quite enjoyable. People are so willing to share so much of themselves and what's in their heads, given the chance. I almost always find each one to be utterly fascinating.
As I sift through the garage for all the things that people have given to me, it becomes apparent what they think I think is important. From the massive color TV, which we are actually now using for the DVD/Karaoke player, to the artwork made specifically to match our decor to the decorative post-it notes with a matching pen - all these give me insight into whether or not they actually listen to the few things I might say to them. I guess what little I do say in real life has been noted.
Coming from a place of having nothing, the generosity of my friends and even acquaintances is made that much more remarkable. Today, someone I see at most twice a week (and rarely have a moment to speak with) brought me a scrumptious homemade apple pie with a little note that said, "(My name), of course, you may share." She had been listening carefully when I recently told my boss that I loved anything homemade and even more, if I could share it with others. I love well-thought out gifts.
Oh, and to explain why I'm sifting through the garage, my family and I are planning a summer move. We're hoping to leave the world of rental hell behind and start on the road to home ownership. Most of the houses we've seen to date are horribly small, ugly or way too expensive. The first one we saw, which is not on the market, seems to be the perfect choice as a starter house. We hope our offer will be accepted and that we are able to move during the summer months.
In the meantime, I will keep sifting the goods in the garage, boxing up whatever I can and try to figure out why someone would give me the largest cookie jar in the world.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home